Whimsyshire (a.k.a. Pony Level) is an easter egg level in Diablo III, similar to the Secret Cow Level of Diablo II. The enemy monsters featured here are flowers, unicorns, and teddy bears. The level itself is created in a style different from the rest of the game, the map having been drawn to look like a child's painting. Normal world objects, chests, health globes etc. are replaced by toys, happy clouds, sweeties etc. The monster death animations, however, remain as gory as in the rest of the game.
Monsters are also specific to that zone:
The Whimsyshire portrait can only be obtained in Whimsyshire.
Whimsyshire was originally made as a response to criticism regarding the game's graphics being "too cartoon-like" and "too bright".
A dark version of the Whimsyshire layout may appear in Nephalem Rifts, regardless whether you have been to this level or not. The Dark Whimsyshire may or may not come with its monsters.
A nearly identical zone exists called Whimsydale, which only appears if one kills a Rainbow Goblin, and is the only place one can obtain the Cosmic Wings. Despite the similarities to Whimsyshire, in Whimsydale the happy clouds and lovely presents will drop gold, gems, and items significantly more often.
Whimsyshire can be accessed through the following steps (Note: as they have become account bound, these items cannot be collected from other players):
Acquire all itemsEdit
- Black Mushroom — Spawns on the first level of Tristram Cathedral in Act I.
- Leoric's Shinbone (PC version only) — Is located randomly in the fireplace in Leoric's Manor in Act I.
- Liquid Rainbow (PC version only) — Is found in a Mysterious Cave within Dahlgur Oasis. The cave is opened by Zaven the Alchemist after he has been saved from a pack of Deathly Haunts in Act II. The item is located within a Mysterious Chest. Neither Zaven nor the chest are guaranteed to appear.
- Wirt's Bell — Sold by Squirt the Peddler in the Hidden Camp in Act II for 100,000 gold (25,000 on the console version).
- Gibbering Gemstone — Dropped by Chiltara in level 2 of the Caverns of Frost in Act III.
- Plan: Staff of Herding — Dropped randomly by Izual in Act IV.
- For the Xbox 360, PS3, and Xbox One versions, only the Black Mushroom, Wirt's Bell and Gibbering Gemstone (as well as the Plans) are required for crafting the staff. Although it is not required, Leoric's Shinbone will still drop.
Build Staff of HerdingEdit
- Teach Haedrig how to build the Staff of Herding. The recipe includes all of the items mentioned previously, plus a one-time cost of 50,000 gold. (5,000 on console version)
Talk to the Ghost of the Cow KingEdit
- Put the Staff of Herding in your inventory (it's not necessary to equip it). Note that the staff is permanent and it is not consumed; in fact, you can replay the Whimsyshire level as many times as you like.
- Whimsyshire can be accessed in both Adventure and story mode. If necessary, change quest and select Act I (e.g. "A Shattered Crown" or later).
- To get to Whimsyshire, take the The Old Ruins waypoint and head back northwest towards Cain's house. On the Old Tristram Road hugging the south wall, you will see a rainbow colored rift and there should be a Skeletal Corpse (of a cow) and a rift in one of the crevices in the ground. Player's followers, if any, will comment on this sight. If you have the Staff, the Ghost of the Cow King will appear with a quest indicator above his head. Once finished, click on the rift which should be now glowing rainbow colors, to enter Whimsyshire.
Higher difficulty levelsEdit
|This page contains obsolete content|
This article contains information that is no longer relevant to gameplay, but is kept here for informational purposes.
- Normal: Staff of Herding
- Nightmare: Nightmarish Staff of Herding
- Requires that you are on Prime Evil of Nightmare Mode. Costs 20,000 Gold for plans and 200,000 to make (10,000 on console).
- Hell: Hellish Staff of Herding
- Requires that you are on Prime Evil of Hell Mode. Costs 50,000 Gold for plans and 500,000 to make (20,000 on console).
- Inferno: Infernal Staff of Herding
- Requires that you are on Prime Evil of Inferno Mode. Costs 100,000 Gold for plans and 1,000,000 to make (50,000 on console).
- Whimsyshire is the Diablo III team's favorite Easter egg.
- There is a chance to uncover a tombstone that reads RIP Pancakes near a tree in Whimsyshire.
- Whimsyshire was created in response to criticisms by fans that the graphics of Diablo III were too colorful when compared to the first two games.
- Heroes of the Storm features an optional Happy Cloud mount for heroes.
- ↑ 2014-05-16, Celebrate Two Years of Diablo III With Undiscovered Easter Eggs. The Escapist, accessed on 2014-05-17
- ↑ 2012-05-17, Diablo 3’s Secret Cow Level Is Called Whimsyshire, Has Cartoon Graphics. Softpedia, accessed on 2016-10-17