Collecting thoughts on what I should look for when I start crafting my items.
The short answer is that I don't think it's worth it. There are so many affixes for weapons, and so many of them that are pretty useless, that it'd take an insane amount of tries to make anything good. Could create amusing results though.
All the helm recipes are essentially not relevant for the late game, with the possible exception of blood helms for their deadly strike mod.
Helms have a bafflingly tiny number of affixes, and aside from +skills and +life/mana, most of them aren't good. This is shocking to me. I could have sworn I've seen a lot of variation of mods on helms. Worth testing.
- Assassin skills (up to +2)...none of the other classes, except Barbarian (whi…
Read more >
Writing down thoughts for a team I'm putting together.
- Amazon: Amazons are one of the classes who don't really offer much to directly benefit other party members. They have inner sight and slow missile, both of which aren't really relevant for most situations. Their Valkyrie is not valuable in large team-based games. That being said, javazons are probably some of the most powerful builds in the game, so having at least one is a good idea.
- Assassin: None of her skills benefit the team as a whole directly. One of the more involved classes to play, though.
- Barbarian: Battle Orders and Battle Command are tremendously powerful. Shout's good too. The Barb's high damage as well as his item find are great for teamplay. Having at least 1 will …
- 1 to Prayer, Defiance, Cleansing, Might, Holy Bolt, Smite, Charge (7 points)
- 20 Blessed Hammer (main attack, max first)
- 20 Concentration (aura, max second)
- 20 Vigor (synergy)
- 20 Blessed Aim (synergy)
- 20 Holy Shield
Consider shifting some points from Holy Shield to the max resists, maybe.
Str: enough for gear
Dex: enough for 75 block
Prioritize 125% FCR, +skills, res, block, fhr, hp. Apparently mana is not an issue at higher levels with the right gear. List from best to worst.
Crafting practically all caster gear in the beginning will help with mana issues.
Helm: Early game: Lore, Tarnhelm, Radiance
Mid game: Peasant Crown, Rockstopper
Late game: Harlequin Crest, Veil of Steel?
Armor: Early game: Stealth, Silks of the Victor, Heavenl…
Read more >
I have been puzzling over this for years now. Multiple builds recommend Sandstorm Trek for footwear. Taurean's Javazon guide names them "with little doubt the best boots" possible for a Javazon. Hnk's Hammerdin build lists them as the best possible choice (without bothering to state why, despite doing so for other items). These are but two of many, many guides singing praises for Sandstorm Trek over other boots.
Let's examine the statistics.
+140-170% Enhanced Defense Decent for boots, but a percentage bonus to a relatively small number is still a small boost. Regardless, several other boot types (Upped Gore Rider, Marrowwalk, and such) offer better defense.
+20% Faster Hit Recovery Nice, I suppose. But nothing eye-opening.
+20% Fast…Read more >
Twinking: using particularly useful, low-level items. Collecting thoughts below.
The best twinks are generally set items, low level uniques, and a very select group of rare and magical affixes. I'll be evaluating each in context of early game. Certain traits become much more valuable in contrast to their late-game counterparts, with FRW and damage becoming more important while survivability is optional due to the low level of danger in the early game.
- Angelic Raiment: The weapon is godawful. Thankfully the full set's bonuses aren't mind-blowing, and the ring and amulet are superb for their level if put together with the (average) armor. Overall, a 4/5.
- Arcanna's Tricks: Eh. The amulet's extreme rarity and the mediocrity of the staff set this …