"And so it came to pass that the Countess, who once bathed in the rejuvenating blood of a hundred virgins, was buried alive... And her castle in which so many cruel deeds took place fell rapidly into ruin. Rising over the buried dungeons in that god-forsaken wilderness, a solitary tower, like some monument to Evil, is all that remains."— Writings on the Countess(src)
The Countess was a malignant figure who once ruled in Khanduras.
The Countess once ruled from a castle in the Black Marsh. It is said that she bathed in the "rejuvinating blood of a hundred virgins", but was buried alive. It is believed that her fortune was divided up among the clergy, but that some of it remained in the tower.
The Countess is the objective of The Forgotten Tower (quest) in Act I of Diablo II, which involves seeking the riches hidden underneath the remains of her tower. She is a Super Unique Dark Stalker found on the 5th level of the Forgotten Tower in the Black Marsh and must be killed in order to complete the associated quest.
If she strays too far from her room, she does not trigger the event that unlocks the chest, so it's detrimental to lure her out. The chest only opens upon killing The Countess for the first time.
Compared to the other monsters around her, she has a higher chance to drop runes (see below). The Hell-difficulty Countess is the only monster to drop the Key of Terror in the game, which is used in the Pandemonium Event.
It is beneficial to repeatedly kill the Countess for Rune hunters as she has a very high chance to drop multiple runes even after the Forgotten Tower quest has been completed. The best Runes possible improve on harder Difficulty levels. The best odds of getting multiple runes comes from playing alone; the more players there are in game, the lower her chance to drop more than one rune is.
In Normal, she can drop up to Ral.
- "Care for a bloodbath?" (evil laughter)
- "Your blood will boil!"
Heroes of the StormEdit
"The Countess's thirst for blood could not be quenched even by her death. As the vampire swarm spread forth from the Forgotten Tower, a group of survivors rose up to resist them."— Heroes of the Storm blurb(src)
- The Countess is reminiscent of the real Erzsébet Báthory, a Hungarian countess who was rumored to have bathed in the blood of virgins to retain her beauty and youth. In addition, Erzsébet Báthory was punished for her crimes by being entombed within her castle alive, much like the fate of The Countess.
- ↑ Diablo II, Moldy Tome
- ↑ Diablo II, The Sightless Eye, The Forgotten Tower
- ↑ 2018-11-03, BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Q&A Liveblog. Blizzard Watch, accessed on 2018-11-09
- ↑ 2018-11-17, BlizzCon 2018 Diablo Immortal World and Q&A Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2018-11-20
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Diablo Immortal, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2018-11-05