Legendary Gems are gems in Diablo III that are only socketable in amulets and rings. They only drop from Rift Guardians in Greater Rifts. In addition to the gems being unique equipped, any one character can not even receive any gem that they already have in their possession, including the shared stash. The gems are dropped at Rank 0 and can be upgraded by speaking with Urshi. Legendary gems do not work when equipped on a follower.
- Bane of the Powerful: Gain 25% increased damage for 20 seconds after killing an elite pack. Upgrading increases duration by 0.5 seconds. Rank 25 bonus: Increases damage against elites by 20%.
- Bane of the Trapped: Increase damage against enemies under the effect of control-impairing effects by 20.0%. Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.1%. Rank 25 bonus: Gain an aura that reduces movement speed of enemies within 12 yards by 30%.
- Boon of the Hoarder: 30% chance on killing an enemy to cause an explosion of gold. Upgrading increases chance by ?%. Rank 25 bonus: Gain 30% increased movement speed for 3 seconds after picking up gold.
- Enforcer: Increase the damage of your pets by 25%. Upgrading increases pet damage by 0.5%. Rank 25 bonus: Your pets take 30% reduced damage.
- Gem of Efficacious Toxin: Poison all enemies for 2000% weapon damage over 10 seconds. Upgrading increases damage by 50%. Rank 25 bonus: All enemies you poison take 10% increased damage from all sources.
- Gogok of Swiftness: 40.0% chance on hit to increase your Attack Speed by 3% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 10 times. Upgrading increases proc chance by 0.3%. Rank 25 bonus: Also gain 2% Cooldown Reduction per stack.
- Invigorating Gemstone: While under any control-impairing effects, reduce all damage taken by 30%. Upgrading increases damage reduction by ?%. Rank 25 bonus: Heal for 20% of maximum life when hit by a control-impairing effect.
- Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver: 15% chance on hit to smite a nearby enemy for 1000% weapon damage as Holy. Upgrading increases damage by 5%. Rank 25 bonus: Periodically smite a nearby enemy.
- Moratorium: 50% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 3.0 seconds. Upgrading increases duration by ? seconds. Rank 25 bonus: 10% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage.
- Pain Enhancer: Critical hits cause the enemy to bleed for 500% weapon damage as Physical over 3 seconds. Upgrading increases damage by 2.5%. Rank 25 bonus: Gain Blood Frenzy, granting you 2% increases Attack Speed for each bleeding enemy within 20 yards.
- Simplicity's Strength: Increase the damage of primary skills by 25%. Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.5%. Rank 25 bonus: Primary skills heal you for 2% of maximum health on hit.
- Taeguk: Gain 0.5% increased damage for 4 seconds after spending primary resource. This effect stacks up to 10 times. Gaining a stack refreshes all existing stacks. Upgrading increases maximum stack size by 1. Rank 25 bonus: Gain 0.5% increased armor for every stack.
- Wreath of Lightning: 15% chance on hit to gain a mini-Conduit buff, dealing 600% weapon damage as Lightning every second to nearby enemies for 3 seconds. Upgrading increases damage by 2%. Rank 25 bonus: While under the effect of mini-Counduit, gain 25% increased movement speed.
- Zei's Stone of Vengeance: Damage you deal is increased by 6.0% for every 10 yards between you and the enemy hit (max 30%). Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.02% (increasing the max by 0.1%). Rank 25 bonus: 30% chance on hit to Stun the enemy for 1 second.
These gems can be upgraded by speaking with Urshi, who will appear on every level of a Greater Rift after the Rift Guardian has been defeated on that level. It does not cost anything to upgrade the gem. The blue property on the gem is the only property that will be upgraded. The upgrade success rate, and chance to gain multiple ranks with a single upgrade will increase as the Greater Rift level increases, but it also decreases with the rank of the gem, i.e. one will need higher Tier to even have a chance to upgrade the high-level gems. The maximum number of attempts Urshi can offer per run is three. When the gem reaches rank 25, it will gain a secondary power, which is not empowered by further rank increases.
- ↑ 2014-7-9, PATCH 2.1.0 PTR PATCH NOTES (UPDATED JULY 9), Blizzard Entertainment, accessed 2014-7-10.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2014-7-17, Leg gem too OP, John Yang, Game Designer at Blizzard Entertainment, accessed 2014-7-21.
- ↑ 2014-07-11, Community effort: Legendary Gem upgrading effects, Angzt on DiabloFans, accessed 2014-07-11
- ↑ 2014-07-30. Greater rift issue - Forums - Diablo III, Nevalistis, Blizzard Entertainment, accessed 2014-07-31.