Legendary Gems are gems in Diablo III that are only socketable in amulets and rings. Most of these gems can only drop from Rift Guardians in Greater Rifts, though one can be found as a drop from Greed in the Treasure Realm. In addition to the gems being unique equipped and account bound, any one character can not even receive any gem that they already have in their possession, including the shared stash. The gems are dropped at Rank 0 and can be upgraded by speaking with Urshi. Legendary gems do not work when equipped on a follower.
The Legendary Gems are not account-unique, but a character will never get a gem that they already have in inventory, equipped on follower, equipped on themselves, or in the shared stash, or socketed into any item in any of the listed places.
- Bane of the Powerful: Gain 20% increased damage for 30 seconds after killing an elite pack. Upgrading increases duration by 1 second. Rank 25 bonus: Increases damage against elites by 15%.
- Bane of the Trapped: Increase damage against enemies under the effect of control-impairing effects by 15%. Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.3%. Rank 25 bonus: Gain an aura that reduces movement speed of enemies within 15 yards by 30%.
- Boon of the Hoarder: 25% chance on killing an enemy to cause an explosion of gold. Upgrading increases chance by ?%. Rank 25 bonus: Gain 30% increased movement speed for 3 seconds after picking up gold.
- Enforcer: Increase the damage of your pets by 15%. Upgrading increases pet damage by 0.3%. Rank 25 bonus: Your pets take 25% reduced damage.
- Gem of Efficacious Toxin: Poison all enemies for 2000% weapon damage over 10 seconds. Upgrading increases damage by 50%. Rank 25 bonus: All enemies you poison take 10% increased damage from all sources.
- Gogok of Swiftness: 50.0% chance on hit to increase your Attack Speed by 1% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 15 times. Upgrading increases proc chance by 1%. Rank 25 bonus: Also gain 1% Cooldown Reduction per stack.
- Invigorating Gemstone: While under any control-impairing effects, reduce all damage taken by 30%. Upgrading increases damage reduction by ?%. Rank 25 bonus: Heal for 20% of maximum life when hit by a control-impairing effect.
- Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver: 15% chance on hit to smite a nearby enemy for 2000% weapon damage as Holy. Upgrading increases damage by 5%. Rank 25 bonus: Smite a nearby enemy every 5 seconds.
- Moratorium: 25% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 3.0 seconds. Upgrading increases duration by ? seconds. Rank 25 bonus: 10% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage.
- Pain Enhancer: Critical hits cause the enemy to bleed for 1200% weapon damage as Physical over 3 seconds. Upgrading increases damage by 30%. Rank 25 bonus: Gain Blood Frenzy, granting you 3% increases Attack Speed for each bleeding enemy within 20 yards.
- Simplicity's Strength: Increase the damage of primary skills by 25%. Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.5%. Rank 25 bonus: Primary skills heal you for 2% of maximum health on hit.
- Taeguk: Gain 0.5% increased damage for 3 seconds after spending primary resource. This effect stacks up to 10 times. Gaining a stack refreshes all existing stacks. Upgrading increases maximum stack size by 1. Rank 25 bonus: Gain 0.5% increased armor for every stack.
- Wreath of Lightning: 15% chance on hit to gain a mini-Conduit buff, dealing 600% weapon damage as Lightning every second to nearby enemies for 3 seconds. Upgrading increases damage by 2%. Rank 25 bonus: While under the effect of mini-Counduit, gain 25% increased movement speed.
- Zei's Stone of Vengeance: Damage you deal is increased by 6.0% for every 10 yards between you and the enemy hit (max 30%). Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.02% (increasing the max by 0.1%). Rank 25 bonus: 30% chance on hit to Stun the enemy for 1 second.
These gems can be upgraded by speaking with Urshi, who will appear on every level of a Greater Rift after the Rift Guardian has been defeated on that level. It does not cost anything to upgrade the gem. The blue property on the gem is the only property that will be upgraded. The upgrade success rate will increase as the Greater Rift level increases, but it also decreases with the rank of the gem, i.e. one will need higher Tier to even have a chance to upgrade the high-level gems.
General rule is that the chance to upgrade is 100% as long as rank of the rift is at least 10 ranks higher than the rank of the gem. When the rift rank is lower than that, the chance decreases, first to 90% (1 rank), then 80%, 70% and 60% (0-5 ranks difference), then to 30% (1 rank below), then cut in half for every rank after that (15%, 7.5%, 3.75%, etc), and becomes 0% when the difference reaches 7 ranks. In other words, to get the rank 25 bonus, the player must be able to clear a rank 25 rift, i.e. be geared well enough for Torment VI, and to have a 100% chance to upgrade a level 25 gem, they need to clear a level 35 rift. The detailed chart can be found here.
The maximum number of attempts Urshi can offer per run is three. When the gem reaches rank 25, it will gain a secondary power, which is not empowered by further rank increases.
- ↑ 2014-7-9, PATCH 2.1.0 PTR PATCH NOTES (UPDATED JULY 9), Blizzard Entertainment, accessed 2014-7-10.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2014-7-17, Leg gem too OP, John Yang, Game Designer at Blizzard Entertainment, accessed 2014-7-21.
- ↑ 2014-07-11, Community effort: Legendary Gem upgrading effects, Angzt on DiabloFans, accessed 2014-07-11
- ↑ 2014-07-30. Greater rift issue - Forums - Diablo III, Nevalistis, Blizzard Entertainment, accessed 2014-07-31.