Class: Demon Hunter (Diablo III)
Required Level: 11
Skill Category: Primary
Generate: 4 Hatred
Shoot out an explosive bola that wraps itself around the enemy. After 1 second, the bola explodes dealing 160% damage as Fire to the enemy and an additional 110% damage as Fire to all other enemies within 14 yards.
Damage Type: Fire
Releases a bunch of bombs that stick to enemies (a monster can have multiple Bolas on it at once) and explode with a small delay for Fire damage to the target and slightly less Fire damage to all nearby enemies (except the main target). Note that even though this skill functions as a missile shot, it does not require a ranged weapon.
Generates Hatred even if it does not hit anything (but only once per shot).
- Volatile Explosives: The blast radius of each bola increases to 20 yards.
- Thunder Ball: The damage type changes to Lightning, and Hatred generation increases to 7.
- Freezing Strike: The damage type changes to Cold. The enemies hit by an explosion have a 50% chance to be Frozen for 1 second.
- Bitter Pill: The damage type changes to Lightning. In addition, each explosion (not each enemy hit) has a 15% chance to award 2 Discipline.
- Imminent Doom: The bolas have an increased capacity for destruction, increasing their damage on applied foes to 216%, and their area damage is increased to 149% against foes within the blast range. This imposes the penalty of doubling the bola's delay, however.
- Hunter's Wrath (Legendary Belt): increases Attack Speed of the skill by 30% and damage by 150-200%.
- Wraps of Clarity (Legendary Bracers): each cast reduces damage taken by 40–50% for 5 seconds.
- Buriza-Do Kyanon (Legendary Crossbow): each shot will pierce 1-2 times, detonating on each target.
- Emimei's Duffel (Legendary Quiver): Bolas explode instantly and damage increases by +150-175%.
- Leonine Bow of Hashir (Legendary Bow): explosion pulls all enemies within 24 yards towards the primary target, and damage increases by +100-150%.
- Depth Diggers (Legendary Pants): damage increases by 80-100%.
- Simplicity's Strength (Legendary Gem): increases damage by 25% (+0.5% per rank) and heals the character for 4% of maximum Life per hit (rank 25 bonus).
- Boyarsky's Chip (Legendary Gem): Taunts the first enemy hit for 2 seconds (rank 25 bonus).
- Embodiment of the Marauder Set (Set Bonus for 6 items): for every active Sentry, damage of Bolas increases by +3000%.
- Unhallowed Essence Set (Set Bonus for 2 items): generates 2 additional Hatred and 1 Discipline per cast.
- Unhallowed Essence Set (Set Bonus for 6 items): deals +350% increased damage per point of Discipline the Demon Hunter currently has.
- Gears of Dreadlands Set (Set Bonus for 2 items): gain 4 seconds of Momentum per cast, at a maximum of 20 seconds. Primary skills deal 10% increased damage per second of Momentum.
- Gears of Dreadlands Set (Set Bonus for 4 items): Casting Strafe against enemies will automatically shoot the last used Primary skill, and also gives 60% damage reduction while Strafing and for 5 seconds after. While Strafing, gain 8% increased movement speed for each second of Momentum.
- Gears of Dreadlands Set (Set Bonus for 6 items): damage increases by +10,000%.
- Night Stalker: increases Hatred generation by 4.
- In the Demon Hunter class trailer, Bolas were shown in detail close-up: shot from a heavy crossbow, it tangled two red-flashing bombs around a Dark Berserker's neck, detonating shortly afterwards, therefore decapitating the demon.
- In real life, bolas are a type of primitive throwing weapons, designed to tangle the game's legs and prevent them from escaping hunters.