Archangels are chief angels of higher rank with far greater spiritual power than an ordinary angel. Visually, archangels appear with more wings and stand more powerful than their normal kin and have been seen to wear far more intricate and individualized armor. Their armor is a manifestation of their own spirit.
Archangels believe in fate, or destiny—the sense that all things are "written" and therefore knowable.
- Auriel, Archangel of Hope
- Imperius, Archangel of Valor
- Itherael, Archangel of Fate
- Malthael, Archangel of Wisdom (became the Angel of Death, killed in the Pandemonium Fortress)
- Tyrael, Archangel of Justice (now the mortal Aspect of Wisdom, stripped of archangel status by the Council)
- Inarius (fallen angel, imprisoned and tortured by Mephisto for all eternity)
- Izual (fallen angel, corrupted by the Prime Evils)